Organization Name: Equal Exchange
Equal Exchange is a fair trade organization and coffee roaster headquartered in West Bridgewater, MA. Founded in 1986, our mission is to create more fair trade relationships between farmers and consumers. We bypass the conventional marketing system by cutting out middlemen and buying directly from farmer cooperatives. Due to the complex level of training involved with a worker-owner co-operative, Equal Exchange does ask for a two-year commitment to employment. This position will work out of the Portland, Oregon office and may be required to assist in our Seattle Warehouse periodically. The intent is to have the successful candidate be fluent in all phases of this position as described below, with the work percentages being fluid depending on vacations coverage and needs
Job Title: Direct Store Delivery Driver & Warehouse Operations
Job Location (city, state) : Portland, Oregon
- Employment Status: Full-time, regular non-exempt position, worker-owner track
- Hours: 40 hours per week
- Salary: $15.00/hr
- Benefits: Health/dental/vision insurance coverage, vacations, holidays, sick days, eligibility for worker ownership
- Location: Portland, Oregon office. May be required to assist in our Seattle Warehouse periodically.
- Reports to: NW Sales & DSD Manager, Warehouse Manager when working in the warehouse
- Responsible to be proficient in: All Direct Store Delivery work, including invoicing, all Warehouse packing and shipping work. The position is designed to support all West coast operations work.
- Goals & regional office support as determined by supervisor
DSD DIRECT STORE DELIVERY & MERCHANDISING
- Deliver and Merchandise Equal Exchange products, fill & Clean coffee bins
- Oversees display maintenance
- Inventory management/ FIFO (first in first out)
- Process invoices and paperwork accurately
- Maintains a clean, orderly delivery vehicle, including routine maintenance schedule
- Equipment maintenance/upkeep: clean bulk coffee bins at off-site kitchen & clean & calibrate coffee grinders on-site
- Learn and be comfortable discussing EE product lines
- Order-Picking & Shipping: Understand and learn how to use NAV system to pick and pack orders for UPS and truck shipments in time for daily deadline.
- Stocking & Clean up: Restock daily, following systems set up to ensure product rotation. Keep warehouse clean, organized, understand warehouse floor cleaning process. Remove/repack damaged products from picking locations. inspect exterior of building for graffiti (paint over as needed) and keep exterior free of debris such as litter and leaves. Routinely take out office recycling. Be proactive as time allows to make our warehouse look great.
- Support team members as needed or directed
- Participate with department team-mates to continuously improve our practices. Work in a team-based system with Sales, Customer Service, warehouse and other co-workers to build an effective, efficient organization.
PERSONNEL AND FAIR TRADE DEVELOPMENT
- Participate in weekly staff, team, department and educational meetings (Exchange Time) meetings
- Understand our producer partners, trading policies and the Fair Trade movement
- Understand and participate in our worker cooperative model
- Ability to communicate and problem solve effectively with customers and team members
- Ability to manage time and responsibilities
- A desire to learn and contribute to the success of the organization.
- An interest in the mission of Equal Exchange
- Enjoy working as part of a team.
- An ability to do extensive lifting is required (up to 70 lbs).
- An ability to pay attention to detail and work accurately.
- Ability to learn order processing software, experience with computers preferred
- Basic understanding of English.
- Basic understanding of supermarket operations
- Requires a valid driver’s license & clean driving record.
- Willingness to do other tasks as needed to support the team as requested by the supervisor
- Why are you interested in becoming part of a small, worker-owner distribution team?
- What should Equal Exchange’s role be in the current fair trade market?
- What role do you think the direct store delivery rep plays in the livelihood of the small scale farmers we support?
How to Apply: via email
Application deadline: Apr 13, 2018