Organization Name: Abundance Food Co-op
Abundance Food Co-op is Rochester, New York's only cooperatively owned grocery store. We opened in 2001, but our history spans more than 40 years, beginning with the Genesee Co-op Natural Food store in 1968. In 2017, we made a historic move from 62 Marshall Street to a larger, more visible location in Rochester's South Wedge neighborhood.
Our relocation marked the beginning of a new phase for Abundance—we're excited about what lies ahead for Rochester's food co-op. We currently seek a dynamic individual to thoughtfully lead our cooperative as our new general manager at this important moment in our story.
Rochester’s history is rich in civil rights, women's rights, labor activism, and creativity both industrial and artistic. The city continues to reinvent itself with multiculturalism, varied educational institutions, social influences, and the arts, particularly music. It is a city with parks and gorges and waterfalls, and is within easy driving distance of the beautiful Finger Lakes and state parks. It is a very affordable city.
Job Title: General Manager
Job Location (city, state) : Rochester, NY
Organization Website: http://abundance.coop
The selected candidate will be guided by our cooperative's end policies, which holds that our shareholders, our shoppers, our neighborhood, and the whole community will benefit from safe, reasonably priced, healthful, nutritious, humanely produced food, and other products that promote a sustainable food system and sustainable world, reliable education about food and other cooperative businesses, and a vibrant community.
Overview of Responsibilities
The general manager reports to the board of directors, which is elected by shareholders of the cooperative. The board operates under Policy Governance; a system that emphasizes vision, values, empowerment, and accountability.
Reporting to the co-op's Board of Directors, the general manager is responsible for ensuring overall achievement of organization results as defined in the cooperative's ends policies.
Required Skills and Capabilities
- Bottom-line accountability experience
- Strategic planning experience
- Ability to evaluate and determine appropriate strategic changes
- Experience with operating, capital, and cash budgeting with a budget of $3,500,000/year, with 32 employees
- Supervisory experience: hiring, training, evaluating, compensating, firing
- Experience supervising managers
- Experience in marketing and merchandising in highly competitive markets
Desired Skills and Experience
- Ability to be proactive and keep momentum going for growth and change
- Ability to motivate, lead, and coordinate people to gain cooperation
- Ability to build an effective management team and board
- Respect and support for the board’s process
- Ability to manage own and others’ time
- Ability to handle multiple demands
- Openness to good new ideas, regardless of where they come from
- Ability to give and receive feedback without defensiveness
- Commitment to cooperative principles; respect for co-ops’ bottom lines
The general manager’s performance will be evaluated through systematic and rigorous monitoring of expectations established in policies on asset protection, financial conditions, business planning and financial budgeting, staff treatment and compensation, treatment of consumers, membership equity and benefits, communication and support to the board, board logistical support, and emergency management succession.
We offer a competitive salary with 501 k benefits.
Equal Opportunity Employer
We appreciate your interest in Abundance Cooperative Market. Abundance offers equal opportunities to all persons without regard to race, color religion, age, sex, disability, national origin, citizenship, military status, marital status, sexual orientation, or any other status protected by law. Applicants who require reasonable accommodation during the application process may contact the hiring manager.
How to apply: via email
Application deadline: May 1st, 2018