The National Cooperative Business Association CLUSA International (NCBA CLUSA) is the primary voice for people who use cooperative businesses to build a better world and a more inclusive economy in the United States and an international development organization. NCBA CLUSA provides cross-sector education, technical assistance, and advocacy that helps co-ops thrive. For over 100 years, NCBA CLUSA has sought to advance and protect cooperative enterprises, highlighting the impact that cooperatives have in bettering the lives of individuals and families. In the last 60 years, NCBA CLUSA has worked in over 85 countries in the areas of food security, agricultural development, strengthening of communities and farmer organizations, community-based health, natural resources management, and empowerment of smallholder farmers, women, and youth. We currently work in in Africa, Latin America, and Asia.
NCBA CLUSA is currently seeking a qualified candidate for the position of Chief of Party (COP) to support NCBA CLUSA international team based in Santo Domingo, Dominican Republic. The COP provides overall strategic, technical, and programmatic leadership for a project. The position implements the project with high quality in accordance with NCBA CLUSA’s international program management standards and with its technical approach and principles. S/He will ensure that NCBA CLUSA’s values, methodology and approaches are being uniformly implemented throughout the project.
SAFE, known locally as PROGANA, is $16.2 million USDA-funded Safe Agriculture/Food Export (SAFE) Project ending November 2020. The project targets improvements in the beef and dairy value chains in the Dominican Republic, focusing on eleven provinces with high concentrations of small and medium livestock producers that need to elevate their levels of beef and dairy management to reach U.S. export equivalency standards. The project is structured around six components: Capacity Building, Financial Services, Infrastructure, Inputs, Market Access, and Training. The program works to do the following:
- Expand trade of beef through opening of US markets (Puerto Rico) to beef export through achievement of equivalency with the US Food Safety System in compliance with World Trade Organization (WTO) and CAFTA trade requirements. This involves restructuring of Ministry of Public Health inspections of the slaughterhouse facility and establishment of laboratory testing by the Ministry of Agriculture of inspection samples.
- Development of the dairy value chain by adding value to post-production; increasing the adoption of established standards; increasing access to markets; building linkages between buyers and sellers; improving post-harvest infrastructure; increasing the use and efficiency of post-production processes; improving the policy and regulatory framework; and strengthening the capacity of key organizations in the trade sector.
- Improve agricultural productivity in the livestock (beef and dairy) value chain by increasing the use of improved techniques and technologies; improving farm management; increasing the availability of improved inputs and use of financial services; strengthening the capacity of government institutions and key groups; and increasing the leverage of private sector resources.
ESSENTIAL AREAS OF RESPONSIBILITY:
- Directly responsible for managing the project to achieve its results, for which he/she will develop, implement and monitor action plans related to the Project.
- Leads, directs and mentors a project team that includes professional and administrative staff as well as key institutional partners;
- Liaises with the project’s donor and officials of the Government of the Dominican Republic (GoDR), USDA, private sector and other project related stakeholders;
- Oversees both internal and external project communications, broad dissemination of experiences and results to articulate the project’s strategy and goals with institutional partners;
- Serves as the formal representative of NCBA CLUSA to donors, alliance partners, host government and private sector stakeholders;
- Ensure compliance with the terms of the project award, including submission of deliverables with the technical quality necessary and consistent with the work plan and Project PMP;
- Oversees the project budget and all project financial resources to manage for results and remain within compliance with donor rules and regulations;
- Collaborate closely with the Deputy Chief of Party (DCOP) and M&E Manager to prepare the Project PMP, including establishing the required evaluations, objectives, implementation of the data management system, quality control, preparation and submission of the reports.
- With the support of the DAF, oversee the recruitment, hiring, training, supervision and management of project staff, and ensure that local personnel policies adhere to Dominican laws and the labor practices as well as those of NCBA CLUSA and USDA.
- Other duties as assigned
SUCCESSFUL CANDIDATES WILL HAVE THE FOLLOWING QUALIFICATIONS:
- Advanced degree (Masters level or higher) in in Agribusiness, Economics, Business or other relevant discipline;
- Minimum of ten years of direct relevant experience managing a multi-year program (typically USAID or USDA funded), preferably in the areas related to NCBA CLUSA’s core focus sectors: food security and agriculture, natural resource management, cooperative development, integrated women and gender initiatives, and community-based health;
- Minimum of six years supervising technical and support staff in international development;
- Proven ability for strategic thinking and planning capacity to support five-to ten-year time organizational plans and trends in development initiatives;
- Must have experience in the Dominican Beef and Dairy sector;
- Expertise in Beef and Dairy Value Chains, Institutional Capacity; Building, Agribusiness Management or Marketing; ability to design systems for project;
- Demonstrated ability to lead people and get results through others;
- Extensive knowledge of donor rules, regulations, and processes;
- Proven skills in problem analysis and problem resolution at a functional and strategic level;
- Commitment to NCBA CLUSA mission, vision, principles, and values;
- Strong knowledge of regional and local political institutions, socio-economic environment and culture;
- High performance and strong team player;
- Proven negotiation skills;
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills;
- Fluency in English and Spanish is required;
- Excellent computer skills (Outlook, Word, Excel);
- Ability to travel to field sites 20% of the year;
- Citizen of the Dominican Republic preferred.
For the ease of completing your application Google Chrome or Firefox are the recommended browsers.
To apply, click here. Only candidates selected for an interview will be contacted. No phone calls, please.
NCBA CLUSA is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer with a commitment to diversity. All individuals, regardless of personal characteristics, are encouraged to apply; all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, political affiliation, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, disability, protected veteran status, genetic information, age, and legally protected characteristics for non-merit factors.
NCBA CLUSA is committed to providing reasonable accommodations to qualified individuals with disabilities in all facets of employment, including the employment application and selection process. If you have a disability that affects your ability to use our online system to apply for a position at NCBA CLUSA, please send an email to Misti French or call 202.638.6222.