NCBA CLUSA is the primary voice in the United States for people who use cooperatives to build a better world. By strengthening cooperatives, building resilient communities and providing economic opportunities, NCBA CLUSA, through its international and US programs, works through the cooperatives principles in more than 20 countries. Since 1916, NCBA CLUSA has shared the cooperative advantage, highlighting the impact cooperatives have in bettering the lives of individuals, families and communities. Through its advocacy program, NCBA CLUSA educations lawmakers and promotes the cooperative business model, working with public and private thought leaders..
NCBA CLUSA is currently seeking a qualified candidate for the position of Value Chain Specialist and Country Representative to support NCBA CLUSA’s international team, based in Antananarivo, Madagascar. The Value Chain Specialist and Country Representative provides technical assistance, project development and strategic support to projects focused on increasing incomes and improving livelihoods of rural poor. This position manages a staff of technical specialists and field agents in vanilla and spice value chains and alternative livelihood opportunities, mobilizes farmers, trains them in production, quality control, and assists them in accessing finance.
As the technical leader, this position provides leadership and oversees the work of the Market Linkage Specialist, CDP Project Coordinator, value chain field agents, and accountant. This position brings specialized skills in value chain development and is the technical lead responsible for increasing market access for small holder farmers through successful relationships with private sector partners, cooperative development strategies, policy and legislative development, engaging donors, designing proposals and technical writing.
ESSENTIAL AREAS OF RESPONSIBILITIES:
- As the senior representative, this position provides technical assistance, project development and strategic support to the program;
- Collaborates with key counterparts including governmental, institutional, and private sector partners;
- Maintains and applies state-of-the-art technical knowledge and provides training and capacity building, including skill development, leadership and mentoring, creating materials and guides, and institutionalizes transfer of learning;
- Represents organization at forums and with other groups in the technical area;
- Documents and shares successes and lessons learned in the format of project reports, publications and presentations;
- Identifies potential funding opportunities within the country and contribute to concept notes and proposals as needed; and
- Other duties as needed.
SUCCESSFUL CANDIDATES WILL HAVE THE FOLLOWING QUALIFICATIONS:
- Master’s degree in international development, economics, agriculture/agribusiness, international business, or related degree;
- Minimum 8 years’ experience in international development;
- Strong skills in technical area required;
- Strong experience and skill in building and maintaining successful private sector partnerships;
- Experience working in one or more of the zones of intervention;
- Excellent team leadership and program management skills;
- Excellent organizational, interpersonal and communication skills;
- Experience managing project communications and compliance with USAID or US Government regulations;
- Ability to organize and manage multiple priorities.
- Strong capacity working in multidisciplinary teams with national and local partner organizations;
- Commitment to company mission, vision, principles, and values;
- Strong knowledge of regional and local political institutions, socio-economic environment and culture;
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills;
- Ability to communicate verbally and in writing in French (required), proficiency in English preferable;
- Excellent computer skills: Use of Windows, Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, PowerPoint), Internet and E-mail;
- Ability to travel to field sites 20% of the year, often under difficult conditions. For example, there are several hour hikes on foot to reach project sites.
To apply, click here. We recommend using either of these browsers when applying: Google Chrome or Firefox. Only candidates selected for an interview will be contacted. No phone calls, please.
NCBA CLUSA is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer with a commitment to diversity. All individuals, regardless of personal characteristics, are encouraged to apply; all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, political affiliation, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, disability, protected veteran status, genetic information, age, and legally protected characteristics for non-merit factors.
NCBA CLUSA is committed to providing reasonable accommodations to qualified individuals with disabilities in all facets of employment, including the employment application and selection process. If you have a disability that affects your ability to use our online system to apply for a position at NCBA CLUSA, please send an email to Misti French or call 202.638.6222.