NCBA CLUSA is the primary voice in the United States for people who use cooperatives to build a better world. By strengthening cooperatives, building resilient communities and providing economic opportunities, NCBA CLUSA, through its international and US programs, works through the cooperatives principles in more than 20 countries. Since 1916, NCBA CLUSA has shared the cooperative advantage, highlighting the impact cooperatives have in bettering the lives of individuals, families and communities. Through its advocacy program, NCBA CLUSA educations lawmakers and promotes the cooperative business model, working with public and private thought leaders..
NCBA CLUSA is currently seeking a qualified candidate for the positon of Senior Agriculture/Nutrition Advisor to support NCBA CLUSA’s New Business Development Team, based in Washington, DC. The Senior Agriculture/Nutrition Advisor provides specialized technical assistance, technical business development input, quality control, and strategic support in food and nutrition security programming, including agriculture for nutrition, food systems, and nutrition-specific programs. This position is responsible for providing advice and design of integrated high-quality programs, responsive to donor requirements with the goal of furthering new business and knowledge in Ag4Nut. The Senior Agriculture/Nutrition Advisor supports program development and knowledge management and oversees technical services within the organization to capitalize upon our strengths and proven interventions aligned with our unique culture and values. The Senior Technical Advisor ensures that project activities are aligned with NCBA CLUSA principles and approaches, while integrating innovative ideas and evidence-based learning that ensure technical quality, learning, visibility and thought leadership.
ESSENTIAL AREAS OF RESPONSIBILITIES:
Business Development (50%)
- Assist the business development team in research and design of new projects that incorporate NCBA CLUSA best practices, including models for nutrition-led agriculture, nutrition specific programming, natural resource management, value chains, cooperative and producer organization development, Community Based Solution Providers, local governance and civil society initiatives.
- Undertake missions for pre-proposal capture and partnership development.
- Lead proposal design and preparation that integrates technical and financial approaches, and ensures systems thinking and adaptive learning.
- Nurture contacts among donor agencies, particularly USAID, USDA and foundations.
- Advise NCBA CLUSA leadership on Feed the Future, GFSS, and other development trends, strategies, and global opportunities.
Technical Backstopping and Quality Assurance (35%)
- Serve as technical resource to Chiefs of Party (COPs) from start-up and beyond, and assist in the development of a vision and strategy for implementation.
- Assist country projects and programs in the assessment and refinement of their technical activities and ensure lessons learned and best practices are used to their best effect.
- Identify and apply evidence-based interventions and provide training and capacity building to program staff.
- Guide staff at all levels to effectively and continually observe, analyze, and adapt to the changing project environments and as activities evolve.
- Work with the M&E director and knowledge manager to implement an integrated Collaborating, Learning and Adapting (CLA) component.
- Work across all departments at HQ and with field-based staff to design and deliver training sessions to ensure that NCBA CLUSA principles, values, approaches and best practices are mastered by all staff.
- Collaborate with counterparts including governmental, civils society and other institutional partners.
- Provide substantive editing and translation of periodic and technical reports.
- Fill in short-term program vacancies, if required.
Thought Leadership (15%)
- Identify, document and disseminate NCBA CLUSA’s specific contributions to achieving scalable impacts in food and nutrition security and resilience.
- Identify the drivers of success so that they can be packaged into flexible approaches which will inform project design, implementation and industry practices.
- Ensure NCBA CLUSA’s visibility among the development community and particularly among decision makers and donors by participating or organizing a program of presentations, conference appearances, NCBA CLUSA-hosted events, targeted written materials, webinars, and Capitol Hill-based activities;
- Other duties as assigned.
SUCCESSFUL CANDIDATES WILL HAVE THE FOLLOWING QUALIFICATIONS:
- Master’s degree required, PhD preferred in Agriculture, Public Health, international relations or another relevant field.
- Minimum 15 years’ relevant work experience in international development in Africa, Latin America or Southeast Asia. Strong knowledge of local political institutions and culture. Long-term in-country experience in developing (beneficiary) nations strongly preferred.
- Strong technical experience in the areas related to NCBA CLUSA’s core focus sectors: food and nutrition security and agriculture, institutional capacity building, governance, natural resource management, value chain and cooperative development, integrated gender initiatives.
- Successful new business and proposal development.
- Experience interfacing with donors and governmental representatives.
- Experience in developing and delivering training.
- Previous experience leading USAID projects preferred.
- Experience in compliance with USAID rules and regulations strongly preferred.
- Experience with knowledge management and M&E, and implementing evidence-based learning opportunities.
- Ability to work independently with minimal supervision, to be able to accept and discharge substantial responsibilities, to prioritize work assignments and work under stress, to meet deadlines, and to exercise professional judgment.
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills, and the ability to work productively with peers across departments.
- Mastery of the suite of computer applications.
- Advanced level French or Portuguese preferred.
- Commitment to company mission, vision, principles, and values.
To apply, click here. Only candidates selected for an interview will be contacted. No phone calls, please. Only candidates selected for an interview will be contacted. No phone calls, please.
NCBA CLUSA is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer with a commitment to diversity. All individuals, regardless of personal characteristics, are encouraged to apply; all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, political affiliation, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, disability, protected veteran status, genetic information, age, and legally protected characteristics for non-merit factors.
NCBA CLUSA is committed to providing reasonable accommodations to qualified individuals with disabilities in all facets of employment, including the employment application and selection process. If you have a disability that affects your ability to use our online system to apply for a position at NCBA CLUSA, please send an email to Misti French or call 202.638.6222.