Finance Director CFO
The Wedge Community Co-op was founded in 1974 and has been a community institution and a pioneer in the national retail food co-op movement for decades. With over 16,500 member-owners, the Wedge is committed to building community by developing a strong local food system. As a co-op we are a for-profit business but with a strong values based direction. We follow the Cooperative Principles of 1) voluntary and open membership, 2) democratic member control, 3) member economic participation, 4) autonomy and independence, 5) education, training, and information, 6) cooperation among cooperatives, and 7) concern for the community.
The Wedge has three distinct business units – a successful retail store at Lyndale and Franklin, a perishables warehouse in St. Paul (Co-op Partners Warehouse) that distributes organic food to 450 outlets across the Upper Midwest, and a culinary operation on Nicollet that includes a food production kitchen, a bakery, a mini market and café, and catering.
The Finance Director/CFO is responsible for overseeing the financial operations and success of all three units. We are looking for an experienced financial leader who can help lead the Co-op by balancing the long-term strategic vision with the day-to-day financial and accounting oversight.
POSITION PURPOSE: To ensure that co-op finances conform to accepted accounting principles, while providing financial information and analysis to Board and management; to support achievement of co-op objectives.
REPORTS TO: CEO
- Create annual budgets for all locations and business units in consultation with CEO, Lyndale Store Director, Nicollet Director, Co-op Partners Warehouse Director and BOD Finance Committee
- Help provide overall strategic leadership for the organization
- Create and analyze quarterly and annual financial statements for all locations
- Create and analyze monthly reports for all business units
- Manage internal cross-division transfers and accounting practices
- Secure appropriate business and worker’s compensation insurance for the Co-op
- Work with HR Director to select medical/dental self-insurance; monitor and review self-insurance claims
- Evaluate compensation strategy for the organization
- Banking: Manage the Co-op’s investments, secure bank and credit union loans as needed, manage the relationship with lenders, and negotiate with financial institutions for favorable terms
- Ensure that auditors have timely access to all needed reports and documents
- Prepare end of year packet for accountant; coordinate annual close-out
- Ensure accurate inventories
- Oversee clerking and cash handling for organization
- Work with department managers to establish and attain margin and labor goals
- Support CEO and Project Director by creating and/or analyzing business plans and proformas
- Oversee purchase of all Co-op’s fixed assets, including all major office equipment; ensure tracking and depreciation of fixed assets
- Administer the procurement policy and record keeping
- Participate in the Co-op’s Finance Committee
- Participate in the Co-op’s 401(k) investment committee
- Oversee allocation and distribution of patronage refundsand C Share dividends
- Overseee maintenance of accurate, up-to-date owner equity records
- Ensure that all State and Federal taxes are filed and paid on time
- Calculate quarterly profit sharing
- Supervise accounting staff
- CPA or post-secondary education in accounting/finance preferred
- Full charge bookkeeping and/or financial management experience in a supervisory capacity required
- Computer literacy, including MS Word, Excel, accounting software and email required.
- Strong oral and written communication skills, including the ability to explain and interpret financial reports to individuals with varying levels of financial knowledge.
- Strong analytical skills.
- Ability to evaluate and improve accounting systems for efficiency
- Excellent organization skills and attention to detail.
- An understanding and appreciation for the co-op business model.
- Ability to work both independently and as a team.
- Ability to meet commitments and timelines.
- Ability to be flexible in a fast- paced work environment.
ESSENTIAL PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS:
- Ability to remain stationary for extended periods of time processing on a computer.
- Ability to physically move between floors and among store offices.
- Must be able to communicate, present and exchange information and express oneself.
- Ability to lift files and boxes weighing up to 25 pounds
The job duties, elements, responsibilities, skills, functions, experience, educational factors, requirements and conditions listed in this job description are representative only and not exhaustive of the tasks that the employee may be required to perform. The employer reserves the right to revise this job description at any time and require employees to perform other tasks as circumstances or conditions of its business, competitive considerations or a work environment change.
Apply at: https://wedge.applicantpro.com/jobs/